Divide your team into two groups for a debate. Groups will debate the following positions:
- Truth-in-sentencing laws deter crime.
- Truth-in-sentencing laws do not deter crime.
Write a 350- to 700-word opening argument for each position, for a total of two arguments.
- Include scholarly references supporting your arguments.
Share opening arguments with the other group.
Write a 350- to 700-word rebuttal to the other group’s opening argument, for a total of two rebuttals.
- Include a closing statement.
- Include scholarly references supporting the rebuttal and closing statement.
Consider the following topics when drafting debate arguments and rebuttals:
- Good-time and work-time credits
- Requirements for length of time served
- Effect on crime deterrence and recidivism
- Differences between federal and state laws
- Effects if parole is eliminated
- Effects on prison population
Combine both groups’ arguments into one document and submit the document to faculty.
Format your debate paper consistent with APA guidelines.
Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment.